If you’re having trouble falling asleep, you’re not alone. In fact, millions of people struggle to slow their minds down before bed. Thankfully, there are a few things that researchers have proved can help your mind and body transition into a sleep state. Here are three things to try out.
Mindful breathing is a simple but effective technique to calm the mind and prepare for sleep.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths to relax your body. Then, focus your attention on your breath.
- Inhale slowly through your nose, counting to four.
- Hold your breath for a count of four.
- Exhale slowly through your mouth for a count of six.
- Repeat this breathing pattern several times, concentrating on the rise and fall of your chest.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation
Progressive muscle relaxation is a technique that involves systematically tensing and then relaxing different muscle groups. Start with your toes and work your way up. This can help release physical tension and signal to your mind that it’s time to unwind.
Visualization can transport your mind away from stress and anxiety, helping you focus on calming and positive thoughts. Imagine a peaceful place, like a beach, forest, or meadow. Picture yourself in this tranquil setting, paying attention to the sights, sounds, and sensations.